2016 Participants load-in information
2016 Battle Creek SpeedFest
The Battle Creek SpeedFest takes place at the
W. K. Kellogg Airport, Battle Creek, Michigan
CHECK-IN - Quality Inn & Suites
2590 Capital Ave SW (Exit 97 off I-94)
Battle Creek, MI 49015
- Check-in time from 6am-7:45am, July 1-4 at the Quality Inn & Suites.
- We will depart at 8:00am from the Quality Inn & Suites and caravan to W.K Kellogg Airport entering Gate 20. If you miss the caravan, Gate 20 will be manned and open from 8:30 am – 9:30 am. ANYONE beyond that time frame must call 312-288-1857.
- NOTE: Helmer Rd (which is where Gate 20 is located) will be CLOSED to through traffic from Columbia Avenue to Dickman Road! Therefore, you must follow these directions AT ALL TIMES:
Directions to Gate 20
Take I-94 to Capital Avenue Exit which is #97. You will go North on Capital Avenue and Quality Inn Hotel is across the street from McDonalds. You will then take Capital Avenue North to West Columbia Avenue; this will be a main intersection (Third Light); A Shell Gas Station and Walgreens are on two of the corners; You will go West (Left) on Columbia Avenue. Follow this to the second Light (Lassen Car Dealership on Left) and this is 20th Street of which you will go North (Right) on to 20th Street; Stay on this to the Second Light which is Goguac Street and you will turn West (Left); This will dead end on to Helmer Road. Battle Creek Police will be manning this area; You will turn South (Left) and proceed to Gate 20.
- In Case of an emergency and you need to contact us during the event, please call or text us at 312-288-1857. If for some reason, you cannot get through, you may call the Field of Flight Office and leave a message. That number is 269-962-0592.
- All will enter through Gate 20 to pit area. Those who are trailering their vehicles and don’t need the trailer for maintenance reasons, you will unhook and park it in a designated area on site.
- If you miss check-in and are running behind, please call or text 312-288-1857 to inform our staff member. You will be directed to follow the directions to Gate 20, located on Helmer Rd, and since it will be closed to through traffic, you will need to follow the directions below. Please try to make Check-in to reduce any delays.
- Registration includes driver and one (1) extra pass. ONLY the driver and one (1) additional person will be permitted to enter the Field via Gate 20 (must be in the same vehicle). Any additional vehicles or personnell will have to use the main entrance gates to park ($5.00 per day) and admission to the event is $10.00 per day. Please visit www.bcballoons.com for gate openings.
- All those who ARE NOT REGISTERED and would like to participate, please call or text our staff 312-288-1857. If we have slots still available, a staff member will inform you where to go and what time you should plan to arrive. IT IS NOT suggested that you just arrive unannounced.
- Battle Creek SpeedFest will start setting up Thursday, June 30. Vendors and those with bigger trailers that purchased a weekend pass, will be permitted to enter the Event Grounds and either set up their booth or drop their trailer. Time frame for this is 9:00am – 1:00pm and we will all enter via Gate 20. We can continue to set up until 3:00pm; HOWEVER, due to the arrival of the US Air Force Thunderbirds, we will use GATE 6 off South Airport Road for entering the Field. Should you need any assistance, please call a staff member at 312-288-1857.
- Friday July 1. PM Session. We will have Gate 20 open from 8am – 9am. Again from 12 noon – 1pm and again from 3:30pm to 4:30pm. Very important that you follow the directions to Gate 20 via Goguac Street due to many road closures.
Pit - Vendor Row
- A portion of the Pit area will be in vendors row. Those vehicles parked in this area will have spectators wandering about the vehicles. We strongly recommend roping off and or having someone present at your vehicle at all times. We will be on cement, so no stakes are permitted. The remaining Pit area, located adjacent to this area is only for participants and team members. This area is separate from the spectators and will not be open to the public.
- Participants and crew members will have access to the full show area including carnival rides, food area etc. You will need to have your credentials on at all times. If you have guests who you would like to bring back to the pit area, please notify staff and or a security member for clearance. You will have to be escorted due to insurance and safety.
- Food is allowed to be brought into the facility. I recommend trying many food booths onsite. They are delicious and there is a good selection to choose from.
- NO GRILLS are allowed. No glass allowed. NO ALCHOLIC BEVERAGES allowed and Coolers will be checked.
- No Golf Cart or ATV can be used. Due to amount of spectator’s safety and insurance, security will not allow it. We will have approved golf carts and our staff will be happy to give you a lift.
- No cars can be moved while in vendors row or the pit area. Once you are parked you can’t move until it is time to run. Our Staff will let all drivers know when it is time to start their engines and prepare to move to the start line. NO ENGINE RUN UPS until our Staff has given the official OK.
- If car must be worked on, no major work can be done in vendor area, however, we strongly suggest that mechanical repairs be done in the Pit Area or Trailer Storage Area. Please notify a staff member for further information and assistance.
Driver - Tech - Event
- All participants must go through Tech Inspection.
- Safety requirements will be inspected.
- If a support vehicle is needed for a participating vehicle, please notify staff immediately.
- Drivers’ meeting will be held 30 minutes prior to each session.
- All participants must follow staff directions.
- Two sessions. AM session is from 10am-noon and PM session is from 5-7pm.
- All runs will be given a time slip.
- 4600ft stopping distance. At the conclusion of your run, you will proceed to the end of the runway and hold tight until we escort you back to the pit area.
- In case of mechanical problems, please DON’T pull onto the grass. Just pull to the side and an emergency vehicle will come to you. Track will be inspected prior to re-opening.
- All driving concludes at 7pm on Monday, July 4th. Awards will be givin out shortly after. At this time, we would like to have all vehicles parked on vendors row so that spectators may get a close look of the vehicles.
- All Drivers are welcome to stay for duration of the Battle Creek Field of Flight. Those wishing to stay on the event grounds can do so, but we may have to relocate to another place on the field.
- Once our runs conclude (each day), we will have a staff member escort you out Gate 20 if you wish to leave.
- There is no exiting and re-entrance from Gate 20 accept during assigned times..
- However, if you wish to return to the event grounds in a separate vehicle, you may do so via any of the spectator entry gates for general parking.
- And, again, those wishing to stay on the event grounds, can do so but we may have to relocate to another place on the field.
Parking - Passes
- Registered vehicles and support vehicles will only be allowed to park in the Battle Creek SpeedFest area. All other vehicles will need to park in the general parking area, and there is a $5.00 parking Fee. Please see the Battle Creek Field of Flight Schedule of Events for Parking Gate openings.
- Those who wish to participate and did not register may call 312-288-1857 to check availability.
Quality Inn & Suites
2590 Capital Ave SW
Battle Creek, MI 49015
Discounted Rates – You must mention that you are with Battle Creek SpeedFest. Limited Rooms available.
Basic Facts for the Battle Creek Field of Flight Air Show and Balloon Festival
All events/activities are subject to change & WEATHER PERMITTING
Absolutely NO RAIN CHECKS
PLEASE bring Exact Change for Parking, which is $5.00 per Car/Truck/Motorcycle
Motorcycle parking on runway verses grass at the Main Entrance Gate (Helmer Road)
On-Site RV Camping is available. Advance registration is requested and recommended
Bus Groups are welcome
Kids 3ft and under are FREE EVERY DAY
HANDICAP PARKING & FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE AVAILABLE - Ask a parking volunteer or any Committee Member with a Radio
Available for Rent: Handicap Motorized Carts & Wagons
SMALL CANOPY TENTS ALLOWED on event grounds in Designated Areas. Please pay attention to signage indicating designated area. You may be asked to move if you are not behind the line
Coolers ARE allowed and WILL be inspected at the Admission Gate
and Pit Areas
NO GLASS CONTAINERS
NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES can be brought in, but can be purchased on-site with proper ID
NO Firearms Permitted
NO Sparklers or Fireworks Permitted
NO Pets allowed on event grounds
NO tents, chairs, blankets, etc. are allowed in GENERAL PARKING AREAS
NO loitering in the parking area to view the show. Security will ask you to pay gate admittance
NO Grills are permitted on event grounds except in the RV Camping Area - Rules will apply
NO bicycles, mopeds, golf carts, etc. are allowed on event grounds except STATE APPROVED HANDICAP UNITS
Daily Admission and Parking Fees will apply. Admission Wristbands and Parking Passes are good ALL DAY.
NO PETS ALLOWED ON THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS
For a Complete Schedule visit www.bcballoons.com
Office Phone Number 269-962-0592